DUBLIN'S NO1 SUP SCHOOL
We are an ASI Accredited Stand Up Paddle School and abide by the high international standards for stand up paddle operations.

IRISHSUP.COM

DUBLIN'S NO1 SUP SCHOOL

Forums

Forum Home > Gear Review > Sunova Speeed 7`11"

dave

Hi everybody!

I recently purchased the Sunova Speeed 7’11" on the back of reading a lot of good reviews on Sunova SUPs. I was intrigued by the quirky design and quality finish and was looking to add something faster to my quiver of surf SUPs!

I'm currently surfing a Starboard 8’0 Pro Carbon which is great in punchy waves but not so much in smaller, less powerful swell and I hoped the Speeed would complement it. At 26 1/8 wide and 94 litres, I was slightly concerned about the stability of the board (I'm 82kg), I was completely blown away when I collected the board from Paul at Irishsup and jumped straight onto it at one of his SUP Fit classes!! There was very little issue with stability for me and could not believe the glide I could get from a 7’11!! The dome shaped deck allows the rails to sit mostly underwater which Sunova claim makes the board more stable and I’d have to agree! The wider, straight line rails of the Sunova also add to its stability, allowing the rider surf less litres than they would from the standard shaped board.

So off I went to the surf for a test! Even though my first session in the surf wasn’t great, I could feel its speed and with a moderate cross shore wind, I didn’t even struggle with the side chop! So when I finally got a decent session, I was sold! I experienced much more speed across the face and, stepping back onto the pulled in tail, it turned with ease! This board surfs with style and ease, I’m looking forward to the next session!

I bought this as a quiver board but find myself using it in all conditions. Overall, I’m very impressed with the 7’11 and looking forward to the rest of the Sunova range!! Yiieeww!

--

June 30, 2016 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.