DUBLIN'S NO1 SUP SCHOOL
We are an ASI Accredited Stand Up Paddle School and abide by the high international standards for stand up paddle operations.

Irish Sup.com

DUBLIN'S NO1 SUP SCHOOL

Forums

Forum Home > Equipment > Choosing your board!

Paul.
Site Owner

I have just read an intresting piece on choosing the correct board for you, using volume to make your board choice. Have a read and comment on what you think!!!!!

ENCINITAS, California – Why not place volume alongside other typical stand up paddle (sup) board dimensions, like length, width, and thickness? Whitney Guild gives plenty of reasons to do so. With a robust background in nearly every action sport you can possibly imagine, Guild’s experience ranges from surfing and skating to wind surfing and stand up paddling, plus everything in between, including even some breakthrough sports like snow kiting. And experience is not all. He is an exceptional athlete in nearly every discipline he sets himself to. As a highly competitive athlete, Guild’s performance in most of these sports has earned countless honors, including even an entry in the Hermosa Beach Surfer’s Hall of Fame. Enough said: the man has plenty of credentials to speak on the topic of stand up paddle board design.

Guild’s proposal is to make volume a key factor in the board designing and buying process. Volume, he argues, loosely determines a board’s flotation. As a result, we can relate volume to both the rider’s weight and skill-level to help determine the most suitable equipment for that rider. Guild did just that. He built a water tank and began measuring the volume of a barrage of boards, some belonging to beginning, others to intermediate, and still others to advanced riders. Guild also took notice of the riders’ weight. After going through numerous boards, he observed that stand up paddle surfers of a particular weight and skill-level typically ride boards with a similar amount of volume, just enough to comfortably float them. The end result was what we’ll call ‘The Guild Reference Table for Stand Up Paddle Surfboards.'

Guild Factor (GF) for Beginn. = 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guild Factor (GF) for Interm. = 1.7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guild Factor (GF) for Advanc. = 1.3

Board Volume (L) = (Lbs x .45) x GF

Guild Formulation for stand up paddle surfboards

The Guild Reference Table for Stand Up Paddle Surfboards proffers a correlation among the aforementioned factors: volume, weight, and skill-level. To keep our units straight, we’ll be using Liter (L) for volume and Kilogram (Kg) for weight. With that in mind, here is the Guild Table. For advanced riders, the volume of the sup surfboard is 1.3x the weight of the rider. For intermediate riders, the volume is 1.7x. And for beginning riders, the volume is 2x the weight of the rider. With those factors under our belt, we can now determine the volume of the stand up paddle surfboard for anyone surfer, assuming we know his weight and skill-level. Take, for instance, a beginning rider weighing 180lbs. We begin by converting the weight to kilograms (180lbs x .45 = 81kg). Then, we multiply 81kg by the “Guild” factor for beginning riders (81kg x 2 = 162L). And we end up with the volume of the sup surfboard for that beginning surfer, that is, 162L.

--

January 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flanders

Excellent guide IMHO and makes alot of sense.

Based on article, I should be surfing  approx. 133(L) board eg: Starboard Converse (9`x30")

Currently on Starboard Drive (10`5"x30")

Anyone interested in buying my tasty board?

January 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

Flanders at January 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Excellent guide IMHO and makes alot of sense.

Based on article, I should be surfing  approx. 133(L) board eg: Starboard Converse (9`x30")

Currently on Starboard Drive (10`5"x30")

Anyone interested in buying my tasty board?

Reckon its pretty spot on too! Starboard element or similar for me i think. Might be biting off more than i can chew on the Pocket Rocket!

--

January 11, 2011 at 2:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leon

Interesting reading.

According to that formula, I should have started on a board with a volume of 192L, but would say I'm curently of intermediate level, thus need a board of 163L

The board I have had since I started Supping is a 10'6" x 30" x 4" Starboard, which has an approx volume of 165L. This, based on that formula, seems thus fine for me as an intermediate, but I would still prefer a slightly bigger board.

My criticism is that the formula do not take into consideration your height, or the type of board (longer narrower board vs shorter wider board) in the calculation.

Eg, I was out on a 10' x 34" Whopper, which was much stabler than my board, but had less volume.

This formula might be a used a good guideline, but nothing can replae common sense and good advice from your local suppers.

Also, I think that there are different size boards which works better in different conditions - chop, surf, flat water etc. and one needs to considder where you are going to use the board most.

IMHO always try before you buy.

--

instant eejit - just add water :)

January 12, 2011 at 5:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

Leon at January 12, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Interesting reading.

According to that formula, I should have started on a board with a volume of 192L, but would say I'm curently of intermediate level, thus need a board of 163L

The board I have had since I started Supping is a 10'6" x 30" x 4" Starboard, which has an approx volume of 165L. This, based on that formula, seems thus fine for me as an intermediate, but I would still prefer a slightly bigger board.

My criticism is that the formula do not take into consideration your height, or the type of board (longer narrower board vs shorter wider board) in the calculation.

Eg, I was out on a 10' x 34" Whopper, which was much stabler than my board, but had less volume.

This formula might be a used a good guideline, but nothing can replae common sense and good advice from your local suppers.

Also, I think that there are different size boards which works better in different conditions - chop, surf, flat water etc. and one needs to considder where you are going to use the board most.

Agree  100% Leon, but he did say,

"Why not place volume alongside other typical stand up paddle (sup) board dimensions, like length, width, and thickness?"

Its interesting that some board manufacturers still dont advertise/publish the volume of their boards.

--

January 12, 2011 at 6:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flanders

Leon at January 12, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Interesting reading.

Hi Leon,

Happy new year, good to hear you SUPing and enjoying it.

Just on your reply, do Starboard make a 10'6" x 30"? They do make a 10'5" Drive!

As I remember from our Killiney downwinder before Xmas, you were on your own Starboard Blend 11'2" x 30", which is approx 174L of volume. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with the importance of try before you buy - and if any of the members and readers of the forum are interested, the boys here at irishsup.com have a hugh selection of boards different lengths, widths and volumes available for anyone to try and they can give plenty of advice on board selection.

Enjoy Leon, see you soon.

January 12, 2011 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leon

Errrrrr, you might be right on the money there, now that you mentioned it". :P Strange how one forget things so easily. Probably because I have not seen the bottom of my board for a while. 8)

--

instant eejit - just add water :)

January 13, 2011 at 4:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ollysup

Hmmm interesting... i learnt on a circle one 10'6 x 30 x 4 but couldnt tell you the volume. I'm still using it a year on but its stopping my progression. I love bigger waves and been on it on double over, but it takes bigger waves to get the beast moving... its so heavy!! Didnt realise till feeling the weight of Pauls board at the Portrush Open... I'd prob class myself as intermidiate wanting to progress fast! with the above equation 80kg x 1.7 = 136L 

Now i need some help on boards, as they are expensive to get it wrong!

Been looking at the 9'0 McTavish, SB Converse, SB Pocket Rocket, SB Wide Point and the SB 9'1 pro but thats a 4 month waiting list! Paul thanks for the introduction to Luke Short Boards.

So my question is what board would best suit Irish waters, intermidiate level wanting to progress fast, larger surf, fast down the line speed but easier to throw the board around. ?? 

--

Live to SUP, SUP to Live :)... only a surfer knows the feeling!

April 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dave

im picking up an old starboard stinger 9'0 by 30" i reckon its the right way to go after i got pauls pocket rocket moving and thats a half a foot smaller!!its an old model which makes feck all of a difference i think except for the price which is far less than the new models with not much change in the designs anyway!paul can give u good deal on some of the older stock olly  and then u dont have to wait so long to start kicking our butts!!!

April 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

Hey Olly, my opinion for what its worth. Hard to beat the Starboard range, i would not advise you to go near any of the wide points, 32 in wide is going to stop you throwing your board around compared to something more narrow. Pocket rocket great in good surf but real challenge in lumpy stuff! I currently use the SB Superfish (141L)  in bigger waves and choppy shit. This is 28.5 wide but has its vol in the length. Surfs loosly. Check out http://2009.star-board-sup.com/products/products.php These are old stock but still available at very competitive price. Give me a call and i can give you excat price!

This conversation could go on and on, try a few  different boards and bite the bullet! My Superfish is available to try if you wish.

--

April 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

This also available at super price, old stock but brand new!! Sport tech model.

http://www.surfladle.co.uk/products/product-detail.php?PID=1343

Again call me for price, have this if you wish to try also!!!

--

April 20, 2011 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flanders
The progression in SUP within even a short few months can be dramatic IMHO. Having started on a SB Blend 11'2", comfortably moving to a SB Drive 10'5", I now paddle a SB Extremist 9'. To be honest, I believe most of us out there surf SUPs that are much bigger all round than we actually require. Going for the shorter boards (btw there still big compared to even a surf longboard) will ultimately give you so much of a workout, test your balance and bring on your technique and confidence in a way the higher volumes boards never will. Then when you do go back on a bigger board, you will feel so stable, you will be throwing round that board for fun. If you have the luxury and I know it's not cheap but a surf specific short SUP and a flat paddle SUP is best option IMHO. The Luke Short SUPs look like the biggest thing to revolutionise the way we see surf specific SUPs - you heard it here first! SB 9'8" Superfish is quality board, I bet it's not a bad all rounder either?
April 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ollysup

Thanks Paul i think the 9'8 Superfish will be bigger than what i'm looking for however got a mate with a 9'0 extremist sport tech i'll try get a go on... I had ago on Finns 8'5 SB pro and that was a serious ride!! would take several sessions to crack it but was able to stand no probs and paddle... Also came across the 9'0 Naish Hokua!? Seems there is a fella up here surfing a 8'5 version... i'll have to track him down for ago ;)

Dave let me know what that stingers like... particulary the rocker and down the line speed.

Flanders your right if only i had the money to have a full quiver of sups ;) for all conditions...  

April 21, 2011 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ollysup

Also what do you think of the 9'3 Tiki pro fish? 

--

April 21, 2011 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

Looks great in the pics, love the wood veener. Nice width too 28???  Ollie, know you like the Luke Short shapes, reckon i have a 9'2 sorted to try out, will let you know how i get on!! 

http://walkonwater.com.au/boards/luke-short/lss92/

--

April 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flanders
Olly, I also have a 9' Extremist Sport Tech. Your welcome to take it for a spin, that's the beauty of this size board, turns so quickly, quick spin and your in the wave. Almost as responsive as the SB Pocket Rocket with stabilisers(30" wide).
April 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ollysup

Cheers Flanders might take you up on that... but live in Portrush. 

--

April 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.