DUBLIN'S NO1 SUP SCHOOL
We are an ASI Accredited Stand Up Paddle School and abide by the high international standards for stand up paddle operations.

Irish Sup.com

DUBLIN'S NO1 SUP SCHOOL

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > River Inny, County Longford Section Length: 4Km

Fran

Drawing on Kayaking experience I reckon that at high Water this River could be excellent for SUP. Two Reasons. Firstly, there are plenty of rapids as oppose to weirs and Secondly at the right level the Standing Wave could be retentive and playful.

This extract is from irishwhitewater;

The Inny is one of the most popular grade 2 rivers in Ireland, this is due to the ease of access to its put in and take out, and also due to its central location in the country. It provides a pleasant days paddling or an introduction to moving water, with plenty of short rapids to entertain.

The river is also known for the Meat Factory Hole/Wave on high water. Downriver from Ballymahon Bridge an excellent wave-hole forms on higher water. It stretches almost entire width of river and forms a brilliant wave that is retentive enough to stay in as long as you want but you don't need to worry if you mess up as it will push you out quite quickly. All types of freestyle moves are possible on this wave.

River level gauge

If there are small waves under the bridge in the town it should be worth paddling. If the ledge on the bridge is covered the meat hole should be at a perfect level. Also at Shrule Bridge, a water level gauge is visible just upstream of the bridge.

Tempted !

I am planning to paddle this some Saturday or Sunday morning and looking for at least two paddlers with reasonable experience in Surf to take this on with

regards

Fran

September 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flanders

Question marks over the experienced part on my behalf, but;

I am in.

We are missing you in race series 2 though.

"If anyone can, Fran can....!"

September 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

You know i am up for that Fran! This rivers location relative to Dublin, and its selection of water types could become a winter favorite!!

:P

--

September 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fran

" Paul/ Ed , good stuff out of ye  - will be great to reform the team "

Bring on the Rain !

September 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.