DUBLIN'S NO1 SUP SCHOOL
We are an ASI Accredited Stand Up Paddle School and abide by the high international standards for stand up paddle operations.

Irish Sup.com

DUBLIN'S NO1 SUP SCHOOL

Forums

Forum Home > Equipment > NSP Surf Series & full deck grip

James

Hi folks,

I guess I'd better introduce myself. My name is James and I'm a kitesurfer that is losing the will to live with the current lack of wind in this country. I've been interested in getting into SUP for sometime and tried it out a couple of times and reckon that my girlfriend and I are about to take the plunge and get a couple of boards this summer. I'd be thinking about using it mostly for cruising around Dollymount or Dublin bay on days when the wind is too light for kiting, but would also like to catch the odd wave when I get the hang of it. I'm 6'4" tall and weigh about 13.5st.

I'm interested in the NSP Surf Series boards because of the price. From using skimboards and strapless kitesurfboards with the kite I know that a deckgrip and not wax is the best way to go. I'm wondering what is the best option for buying a full deck grip for these boards, both price and quality wise? Do deck grips come in different sizes as I'd be thinking about the 11' x 31" or 11'6" x 33" Surf series boards. Can anyone give a comparison between the 11'6" Surf Series and the 12' Big Easy from Starboard which also interests me?

Also has anyone tried theses boards? They do seem to be rather cheap when compared with anything else. Is there a really good reason for this? Do they have the same shape as the regular more expensive series of NSP boards? They do appear to have the same dimensions from what I can tell from the limited information available on the internet.

Would adding the price of a full deckgrip a leash and a paddle to the cost of the NSP Surf Series boards pretty much bring them up to the price of some other packages?

Sorry for all the questions. All advice appreciated.

James

June 17, 2010 at 6:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

Hi James

Been asking alot of the same questions recently. The NSP Surf Series is so new we havnt seen it yet but hope to get some in to test out this month. Deck grip can be bought at about 130 euro per board, this can then be cut to your requirments. When you take that price into consideration the cheaper boards dont look as good value, the other issue is getting the deckgrip to stick, i know some of the companies have had issues with this. We use the 12 ft big easy, and its a super board to start off on, great in the surf and tons of stability to pop kids etc on the front.

Keep us informed on how you get on.

--

June 19, 2010 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James

Cheers for that info Paul. In fairness I haven't heard a bad word about the Starboard Big Easy.

Where can deckgrip be bought for €130? Irish shop or online? Does it come with 3M adhesive backing or do I have to purchase adhesive separately?

Thanks,

James

June 20, 2010 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

Try Paul at Irish snowboards.com or bluechip windsurfing in the uk.

--

June 22, 2010 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul.
Site Owner

Hi James

Just forund this recent forum post which might be or interest to you.

Re: NSP boards, any good ?

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:31 pm

There are some naff board brands around and some very naff board brands around but NSP are not one of those brands, so no problems there for you.

NSP & Surf Series are both good boards in performance and construction, but if you can afford it go for the Starboard Drive, that is a better board, However, you must ask yourself if the extra expense will be justified for you…!

At ? we sell loads of both board brands and have no problems with either of the brands. To advise the customer, we try to determine where the customer fits into the range of SUP paddler; pure recreational paddler, progressive recreational, semi sport paddler or the “go for it paddler”. In the same order are the different board brands you mention from the Surf Series (Surf Series being the entry level NSP boards), NSP and then Starboard.

Nothing wrong with the Surf Series or NSP but at the other end of the spectrum the Starboard will be the best performer, the depth of your pocket and what you hope to get from SUP have to be considered.

Having said all that I think you may be overlooking the most important item in your SUP equipment; The Paddle..! After all, this is a paddle sport and the paddle is so often overlooked as an after thought. The paddle is what drives you through the water, the engine, your direct connection to your performance. It would not be irrational to advise you to choose and buy a very good paddle fitted to you, and then see what you have left in the coffers to by your board.

Like a lot of SUP suppliers, at ? we offer a free standard paddle with most new boards just to help you get into the sport, but we advise you to up grade your paddle to a good carbon model fitted to your paddling style as soon as you can afford to do so. A good paddle fitted to match your paddling style and action should not be underestimated.

The paddle and your paddle action is more important to your performance than the board.

Hope this was of help.

Paul.

--

June 28, 2010 at 5:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.